Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Family Tree

At Christmas, Jim and Cindy gave me a computer program to help me work on my family tree. I've been a little slow getting started. Last week Cristy sent me a book called 'To Our Children's Children'. This has prompted me to get busy thinking. I took the book with me last week when I went to Ben's. We talked about it a little bit. One thing that was mentioned that I had not heard before, Ben said that Daddy had told him that were Native American on his side of the family. The tribe is Cheyenne. On Mother's side I had always heard we were Cherokee. I guess this means that we are more Native than previously thought. Daddy always said we are French because our forefathers fought with Lafayette during the Revolutionary War but Ben says we are Irish because Lafayette's soldiers were mercenary soldiers from Germany and Ireland.

The book from Christy is about questions that ask about my life and the way things were when I was a child. It prompted a lot of memories. I am trying to sort them all out. Some things are easy but some of the memories are difficult. I have made a lot of notes but nothing is ready to publish. I promised Christy I would blog some of the answers and plan to do so soon.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

This is great! I can't wait to hear all the good stories.

Dina said...

Wow, that is alot of work, but very interesting. Now, what I ALWAYS heard, ( and I was a kid , but remember it) that we are German....Irish ( from my Mom side)...but what the heck to I KNOW???!!! all I remember is thinking WOW, that's why were all soo FYSTY!!(is that a word?)

Frankie said...

That book sounds like fun,hope I can find one . I talked to mother today about memories, she was surprised that I could remember, said I was so young.I think on our mothers side we have Irish ancestors. later

Frankie said...

after looking at the Shown book I found we had Dutch ancestors, that Shown was a Dutch Name, I always thought it was Irish.